Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The influence of media


I very much enjoyed the presentation in IDC on Thursday involving the influence of media. I had previously seen some of the commercials that we were analysing and thought nothing much of them. I know media has a great deal of influence on the society, however, I thought by just not caring about the commercial, I would not be influenced. But to my dismay without even thinking I have become a victim like many other people to media's hidden persuasions. Breaking down and analysing the commercials we were able to find the text and the subtext of each of them. The subtext being the hidden message portrayed to society, influencing to make unnecessary choices such as purchases. This message is not always a positive one. The message generally influences the viewers into doing something without even their knowledge. I had seen the Dove and many of the other commercials before, but I really took a liking for the dove ad. Before analysing it in a non bias fashion, I thought the commercial sent out a very positive message about the stereotypical body image and how it has become significantly distorted. Although, after finding the text and subtext of this commercial, I realised that it is sending out a bunch of mixed messages because it also fits in to the stereotypical company that influences the society. I wasn't surprised by the negative or forceful messages that are hidden within the commercials, however, without even realising it, people become trapped into media's forceful grasp. After watching the presentation, I have come to the conclusion that while watching TV, we must do so subjectively, be aware that there is a subtext in many ads and we must not be influenced by such hidden messages.

No comments:

Post a Comment